Thread: Bourke Engine
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
I would like to thank Mr. ConnClark for pointing out a few of the engines potential weak points.
Weak point hell! These are full out flaws when it comes to efficiency.
Quote:
One thing I think we can all agree on is that no engine at least at this point in time in our history is perfect. All engines have flaws and weak points. However there are far more pros to the Bourke engine than any other engine I have seen to date.
The only thing it has going for it is that it has few moving parts.
Quote:
As far as the comment about the Bourke engine being a scam well that is completely false and can not be further from the truth really. However I will agree with ConnClark in that some of the people that operate these Bourke websites are in fact scam artists and in fact do nothing but try to steal your money. This is not the case for all of them though and I have confirmed this point!

Is this engine an inefficient gas guzzler?
Well according to the only independent 3rd party to observe a test of it, yes the Bourke engine is a guzzler.

The Bourke Engine

(Note when contacted to verify if this story for wikipedia was true Paul Niquette swore it was. he also has the credentials to back it up Paul Niquette Resume -- CH2M HILL )
Quote:
Well I can not say for sure until I build one and thoroughly test it out but what I can say for sure is its no worse than the gas guzzler you have in your car right now! At least with the Bourke you will not need to pay for oil changes or tune ups LOL :-) Or have to worry about rebuilding the engine after you have driven it its course. These engines can easily be serviced with simple tools. Not to mention far less parts to potentially replace and service. The Bourke engine has no Flywheel, camshaft, cam gears, poppet valves, or gaskets.
You forgot to mention that the Bourke engine also has no proper lubrication for its piston rings due to the seal around the connecting rod. That tends to shorten the life of an engine.
Quote:
This engine would easily save you money in total life repair costs and maintenance over traditional 2 and 4 stroke designs of gas or diesel engines. The 4 cylinder version is said to gulp 1 gallon of fuel per hour at 6500rpm. Now run the 2 cylinder 30 cubic inch version at around 4000rpm or the 10 cubic inch model at 1800rpm with biodiesel. You would have an engine fuel economy similar to our best diesels yet much more versatile and hundreds of pounds lighter with double the power potential. Not to mention you would not need all that emissions crap such as cat converters, urea injection, and all those sensors because you have virtually no emissions!
There is no real emissions data on the Bourke engine to go off of. The only data is off of another Bourke engine scam site claiming 10ppm for NOx. Unfortunately there was no output power level given for this reading so I would suspect it was at idle. NOx output of a Bourke engine with its extended dwell time near top dead center should be rather high at full power.
Quote:

Despite what some may say this engine was built for one purpose and that was efficiency and simplicity. The simplicity is obvious it takes no rocket scientist to see this. The efficiency is what is always in question and often attacked. So this is the area I would like to focus my research on moving forward. There are a few people around the world who have been able to really work and test these engines and what I can say based on our discussions is that there is little doubt that this engine is for real and can do exactly what Mr. Bourke himself stated.

Where is Myth Busters when you need them

GH..
Mr. Bourke was a politician and they have a poor track record on stated vs real benefits.

So few have looked at improving the efficiency of the Bourke engine because they can see straight off that its a lost cause.

If you want clean oil all the time go install a frantz bypass oil filter.

I move that this thread be placed in the unicorn corral