View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Another story I just though of...

Everyone who knows basic traffic signs knows that when you are merging onto a highway via the on-ramp, you need to yield. A couple years ago I was driving along the highway in the right lane. A couple cars were slightly behind me in the left lane and were in the process of passing me. No other cars around us. A guy in a Toyota truck is on the on-ramp. From my visual calculations he would be able to merge in behind me with plenty of space. I chose not to slow down/speed up, or merge over (because of the people passing me). My visual calculations proved wrong because this guy decided to speed up beyond my highway speed on the on-ramp. As his lane met the highway, we were side by side. I could not merge over due to the passing cars. Knowing that he has to yield, I continue driving. Instead of slowing down like a normal person to merge in behind me, this guy continues to drive on the shoulder, never slowing down. When the left lane traffic clears, I merge, and then he merged.

The only reason I can think of is that he was a really macho guy that needed to "have it his way".