Thread: Bourke Engine
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

HCCI yes can have lower NOx emissions than a diesel however a diesel with little modification can greatly reduce its emissions as well. Just utilizing a biodiesel blend will reduce emissions greatly in all categories!

"The main effort to control NOx is to not generate it in the first place. Trying to remove in the exhaust creates back pressure and eats in to fuel economy not to mention costs more money and adds weight to the car."

Completely agree with this 100%

"Things are well understood about the scotch yoke."

I agree with this also!

The lubrication system in a nutshell uses oil seals to prevent the pollution from the combustion chamber (created by piston ring blow-by) from polluting the crankcase oil. This helps extend the life of the oil as it is used slowly for keeping the rings full of oil to hold and use to lubricate.

As for fuel economy that is up for debate but from my brief readings I can confirm the 400 cubic foot model did suck an awful lot of gas. I will post what I find in details to this thread later as I have to get going now.

I will definitely look into the rotary Atkinson cycle engine so thanks for sharing that! Another engine I thought looked interesting was the Fre-Piston design but that is for another thread entirely.

GH..