View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
RCPlayland
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I bought a 1997 Ranger and using hypermiling techniques I have averaged very close to 32 MPG. Its a 2.3 manual without power steering with a 3.45 rear axle and a 5 speed. I do not use engine off coasting. I could probably get close to 40 MPG if I used every possible technique. A lot of my driving in the truck is highway at 55-65 MPH. I had a Ninja 300 but sold it and replaced it with a 1994 Suzuki GS500E with just over 10k miles. I am averaging close to 64 MPG with the GS500E compared to 68 MPG with the Ninja. The difference in fuel cost is offset by lower taxes on the GS. I have $1500 in the GS versus the $4k I paid for the Ninja. I sold the Ninja for what I paid for the bike. I recently bought another GS500E for $850 and will have just over $900 in it whn I get it roadworthy. I ride bikes a lot so the miles I put on a bike would mean high levels of depreciation oin a new bike and I can take care of most maintenance and repairs myself.

regards
Mech
I hear ya on the motorcycle thing. Just the smaller 300 fits me better. My other motorcycle is a FZR600, which I have way too much money wrapped up in. But it gets 35mpg due to my heavy throttle riding and the ECU set up. I could have adjusted it all, but I wanted something new and high mpg without all the modifications/riding style it would require to get my FZR600 up to par with the 300.

As for the hypermiling of your truck... very cool.

My hopes are to find a high mpg truck or build one with normal non-hypermiling techniques and then start disciplining myself (I have already started with my current truck).

The best my truck has got was 26mpg drafting a diesel rig on the highway for 120 miles. But that is a bit too dangerous.

Majority of my driving is half highway and half stop/go in town traffic.

My main interest is the current newer trucks being swapped with newer style "CUMMINS" (lol) diesel motor set ups. But have had very little luck finding what I need to make that happen.

Too bad our government will not allow some of the small economy size trucks to have what the rest of the planet has. Bummer!