View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #71 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for July 15

The Low Voltage Junction Box has needed a permanent backplate for some time. And now is the time it will be moved.

Start with a piece of 3/8 inch plywood. Mark out the required terminals, the different cables entering the box, and the relay placement. Route the wires into and out of the box.

How to keep the cables from pulling out of the terminals? The cables will be terminated directly to terminals instead of to quick connectors as they will eventually be. Perhaps an aluminum gauge plate for a stiffener on the plastic sides of the case, with a hole in for each cable. Add a clamp, like they use for extension cords to take some of the stress if a cable gets yanked ... hmm.

This sounds pretty simple, but as usual there are complications. The cables can enter on 3 sides plus the bottom. This makes for several combinations to think through, and to sketch through. It`s nice if the wiring enters from one side and the terminals are close, and close together, so that the wires don`t cross half the box to get to the terminals.

I had a decent beginning to the circuit already on a backplate. I went through several iterations ... but that`s about where things ended up for the night.

I guess I will have to get something done, then improve it later. I fall into the trap of trying to improve things before they get built. It's a time-wasting trap!