View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #72 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Update for July 17

Not to repeat myself .. but ...

Like most things that I do - on Monday I was making things too complicated, trying to optimize from several options instead of building something that is OK and optimizing later. This is the mantra of WIKISPEED. Rapid prototyping, quick iterations, making use of distributed tools to involve many members of the group to guide the iterations rapidly .

So now that I am back on track - here`s what happens. One of the sketches is chosen, not quite at random ... it is one of the more flexible solutions that I sketched out. The cable for the signals going from the LVJB to the HVJB is the most important. It has a single hole between the boxes with a tube between. The other cables include 12V from the controller battery and to the controller; 12V from the accessory battery and power out to the fuse box, the high voltage contactors, the lights, and other loads in the car; the accelerator signal in from the cockpit and out to the controller; the safety system sensors in from the rest of the car and out to the HVJB contactors. There are also 2 chargers, one each for the controller battery and for the accessory battery. The battery chargers and the power bar is in the HVJB, but the cables connect to the batteries through the LVJB.

Sketch out a grid for the 6/32 bolts that I use as terminals. Drill out the holes and mount each of the #6 bolts with a nut to hold it into the backplate.

Here I run into a snag. My grid is too widely spaced, so I ran out of terminals before I ran out of wires.

Re-drill the backplate with more holes, more closely spaced. Now I ran out of 6/32 bolts and nuts. SIGH!

Draw out the wiring on the backplate, strip some more wiring (the right colors - black and red mostly) - and I ran out of crimp terminals.

OK - I guess that's it for the night!