View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
spacemanspif
Spaced out...

The New Focus - '07 Ford Focus ZX5
90 day: 32.44 mpg (US)
Thanks for all the welcomes

Metro: Thanks for the info on the MPGuino. I started looking into OBDI instrumentation last night but didn't look very hard. While at PepBoys over my lunch break I looked at their gauges for a vacuum gauge but didn't see any that weren't boost with a little left swing for vacuum. I have a scangaugeII on my Monte Carlo for the X-gagues (engine/trans temp, IAT, vacuum etc) but never set up the economy side of it.

Metro & Daox: I thought the same thing too: lower rpm = better mpg until I put a 2.29:1 rear in my Monte Carlo (factory 3.73); car ran like dog crap at 65mph and I think got 6mpg, brought the speed up to 80mph and the eco jumped up to 25 mpg Still had to down shift to get up bridges, she's back to having the 3.73 under her. So yes, driving slower CAN kill mpg but my experience might be on the extreme end considering the numerically low gears I used.

I might try driving slower, I know its not that much slower but sometimes even driving 65mph puts me to sleep, its my younger speed demon coming back to haunt me, I think. Maybe I'll try it if/when I buy the MPGuino, Lord knows I won't be able to stand driving a full week to work at 60mph.

Flakbadger: thank you for the link, I feel so left out not having the white box in my sig lol. Need to start logging fuel so it can actually have data in it though, damn these efficient cars!

Mirror delete seems a bit extreme to me; growing up my dad always pushed vehicle safety and getting rid of a mirror seems like a big step. Since mine is a non-remote control one I can easily take it off for some testing though and be able to throw it back on if I don't like it without worrying about wires or cables getting damaged.

Right now I am thinking that I want to get rid of my 15lb(?) 3rd gen. Formula spoiler (even though I love it), consider a pro-stock (Bonneville?) type spoiler, maybe switch to the SL1 front bumper, rear wheel skirts, maybe a rear belly pan and try to pick up parts that are missing from my front air dam and extend it to make a bigger whole car air dam...yesterday I saw my exact car next to me and noticed a big black air dam under his car, mine didn't have one when I bought it used so I am going to start looking for plastics in the JY.

Oh yea, I might take some of the crap out of my trunk. My problem is that I rent a room in a house and don't have anywhere to store tools/parts other than my trunks of my cars Luckily the Saturn doesn't have Power windows, locks, mirrors or a sun roof so I think my tools cancel out the weight of those motors....right? lol

2007 Ford Focus ZX5 - 91k - SGII, pending upper and lower grill bocks - auto trans
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.67 @ 106
2007 Ford Focus Estate - 230k - 33mpg - Retired 4/2018
1995 Saturn SL2 - 256K miles - 44mpg - Retired 9/2014

Cost to Operate Spreadsheet for "The New Focus"

Last edited by spacemanspif; 07-25-2013 at 03:53 PM..