View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #63 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Same car, gas vs electric+generator, 103-129mpg vs 44 mpg. We enable/encourage laziness with the generator so I have no clue what to tell you about difference in driving style. It's a mash the pedal and go car first and foremost. The car takes 5hp at sdc cruise, you would have to be trying to only get 44mpg.
Without knowing more information about the situations that yielded even 129 MPG vs those that yielded 44 MPG ... it is at best , guessing , or wishful thinking ... to jump to conclusions about the cause ... I'm not comfortable with that ... I'd rather admit that I need more data to be able to accurately know one way of the other.

For example ... With identical design and equipment ... people have gotten bellow 50MPG to over 160MPG ... from the Gen-1 Honda Insight ... that is a 110 MPG variation that has absolutely nothing to do with the design , or the components part of the situation ... because none of those things changed.

From 129 to 44 is a 85 MPG gap ... people have gotten larger MPG gaps than that in other vehicles ... larger MPG gaps even with identical design and components.

Thus to me ... assuming the gap has to have come from design or components ... is just not yet supported ... as long as other details and data about the situations (components , operation, etc.) remain missing.

If we got enough other data ... then we might be able to better reconstruct things like the two different joules/miles , and such ... which would give us a much better idea about the actual significance of the ~85 MPG gap... it might be massive significance ... or it might be minor.