View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Clips arrived at my NAPA overnight, came out to $10.00 after tax.

First impression - the spring rate on these is pretty low, they can be bent between two fingers. I'm skeptical - I'd have used a thicker wire to make the spring, one that provides a bit more force.

Although it looks like I could slip them on with the center pointing outward, the manual wanted them facing inward, under the caliper.

Removed the bolt opposite the brake line and swung the caliper up.

Spring-clip installed.

I've only done the fronts. This weekend I'll probably have a grand total of ~250 highway miles, I'll report back with my findings. If I don't notice an measurable improvement, I'll try fabricating my own out of some thicker material.
Did you spin the wheel before and after installation to see if there was any improvement that you could feel? I'm also skeptical of a spring that you can be bent with your fingers. The force needed to separate the brake pads is probably more than the spring can provide. I'm curious if cleaning and lubing the caliper would help the little spring out. Did the instructions mention anything about applying the springs to a brake caliper with 200k+ miles on it and how that brake dust buildup might effect the parts performance?