View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
JB3
EcoModding Lurker

Work Van - '89 Chevrolet Astro
90 day: 28.43 mpg (US)

240D - '83 mercedes 240D
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Yeah I have seen those fiberglass leaf springs plenty of time, I don't know of any problems with them.
But even steel springs sag over time, so I don't see why fiberglass would be any different.
My understanding is that fiberglass loses its resin over time and becomes brittle. The ones on this van are comin up on 24 years old of constant flexing and weather, time to beat the inevitable cracking to the punch is my plan.

Update on economy, a second test run the van did 27mpg loaded up. I don't have an odometer or speedo hooked up yet, so the way I'm calculating this is going to a diesel pump, filling up, making my work run and writing down exactly where I went, then returning to the exact same pump and filling back up. Then later google mapping the route.
I think I can get closer to 30 when its aligned as well before any aero mods. Its doing high 20s and I've cooked the RF tire in under 1000 miles. Basically I'm trying to establish a baseline for the current drivetrain I can compare against, especially when I go to a much lower diff ratio soon