View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
jbrams
Commuting hypermiler

Bitty - '09 Toyota Matrix Base
90 day: 31.23 mpg (US)
Question List of materials for sealing gaps - what do you use? Tape? Silicone? Foam? Others?

I'm looking to fill the gaps in the front of my 1991 camery wagon - I've already installed an aluminum sheet upper grill block and will do the same for the lower grill/bumper area BUT I'm at a bit of a loss on what materials to use to fill the gaps between the bumper and hood, lights, grill, etc. The solution will ideally be:
1. Able to withstand a car wash
2. Non-permanent (I can remove most silicone, not bondo, get the idea?)
3. Paintable or available in several colors - I'd like to keep it relatively stock looking so painting things black or OEM scratch filling paint for small stuff.

What do you recommend?

I've seen several general recommendations but without much specifics, can you help fill me in on the details?

1. Tape:
___a. Masking or painters tape to provide temporary or testing seals (too temporary for my situation).
___b. Clear tape - again, not permanent enough unless you know of a tape I haven't heard of - does 3M have some kind of crazy strong/thick tape that will withstand repeated carwashes?

2. Foam/Bondo - too permanent

3. Sheets of material:
___a. Coroplast - good to strap down with twist ties but only for larger areas
___b. Aluminum - same problems, bad for small spaces like that between the bumper and the grill/lights.

4. Silicone - basically removable and comes in black, but only good for small spaces (over 2cm gap would require some kind of backing which, if installed already, would possibly defeat the purpose of filling the gap further.
___a. What types of silicone do you recommend?
___b. is there a preferred application method?

5. Urethane - I'm at a loss on where to get it and how maleable it would be for this long, thin gap.

6. Contact paper - different colors, but will it resist multiple washes?

7. Heat http://www.fireblades.org/forums/general-discussion/8409-heat-moldable-plastic.html

8. "Form-in-place seal" (FIP Seal / Sealing Compound MIL-S-8802) as used for airplane applications.

9. Pipe insulation foam (black foam with a slit) with paint or fiberglass over it to make it resistant to washing and road debris.

Thanks for all your help ecomodders! I'll try to keep this first post updated with your ideas as they come in.

Last edited by jbrams; 06-26-2008 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: Formating, additional materials