View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
40 MPG @ Highway Speedlimit - Cd?

Today, I drove 38.1 miles in one direction, getting 39.8 mpg w/ cruise control locked on at the speed limit. This did include getting started in a parking lot and waiting at a red light, hurting mpg.

2.9 miles @ 55mph
12.3 @ 65
22.9 @ 60

I later drove this backwards ( the opposite direction, return trip) and saw 40.2 mpg. Temperature was not noticeably different, one trip from 0930, the way back was at 1800.

Of course when I usually drive, I speed, and hypermile. So EOC, and cruising at 4-9 over, building on down hills, losing speed uphill- usually engine on performance gets me 35+, not including my EOC.

I originally paid attention to this because someone on here (couldn't remember who) brought up something along the lines of not knowing about a vehicle getting 30+ mpg at 70 mph. So I thought I would keep track, find my rough figure on the Cd chart, and look to see at 70 mph.

Anyway, knowing my vehicles info (wet/loaded weight, frontal area), general driving figures (drag from road, air density), I am trying to calculate my CD by looking at the tool for it. I was placing lower and lower to find, but putting in .2 for CD gets me 35 mpg at 60 mph. I know my CD is NOT that low, yet I was getting BETTER mpg.

Does anyone have any tips, help, or ideas on it?

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.