View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
turbulence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
I did notice something on the drive back, that made me wonder.

When big trucks were passing the other direction the turbulance would often persist much longer than expected, kind of like it cause the flow over the front of the Jeep to cause more turbulance. It could be that the combination of driving somethig that was still an aero-dyanamic disasterpiece though a section of turbulance would cause it to drag the turbulance with it, but it made me wonder if turbulant air would cause even an aero design to create more turbulance, or for that turbulance to persist after the vehicle has cleared the turbulant section.
The turbulence behind a big rig extends for many hundreds of feet behind.What we 'pick up' from them would be determined by local weather conditions,wind,speed,direction,as oriented with the roadway and our position in relation to them.
Head on,you'd get the bow wave,then suction as it goes by,then wacked by the wake,with some nice buffeting.
Since low drag cars are governed by a laminar inviscid outerflow environment,driving one through a region of major turbulence would completely alter the flow.All bets would be off the table.
You may have experienced the pressure pulsations of cast off vortices within the wake of an 18-wheeler.This is the major league of eddies.