View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
BG44K is (or was) the only additive apporved by Mercedes Benz when I worked for them a long time ago. I used it in my ranger as well as seafoam to get rid of light load pinging.

I'm not a great fan of pouring stuff into combustion chambers, unless you use extreme caution to preveny a liquid lock.

The VX egr passageways are under therunners in the intake manifold, there are several plugs that you would need to pull out and then tap them and put threaded plugs in to cover the holes. Blocked EGR passageways are a principle cause of pinging since you are not getting the proper amount of EGR in the combustion chambers which reduces peak combustion chamber temperatures, reduces NOX emissions, and allows more adbvanced timing without pinging.

We used the spray gun-water treatment on Nissan 280ZXs, the last versions made had flat top pistons and part of the cylinder head combsution chamber was also flat. There was 1 MM of clearance between the piston and head over about 30% of the piston surface. I would pull the air cleaner off, clamp the throttle to hold it at 2k RPM. Clamp the trigger on the spray gun and adjust the spray pattern and volume. Then I just let it run until it had consumed a quart of water, rinse and repeat. Looking into the plug hole you could see how clean it got the top of the piston and the heavy carbon knock went away.

I once towed a car 180 miles to put an engine in it (other shops diagnosis), ued the spray gun technique and it was good for another decade. The owner always came to my shop after that, since he was already one engine ahead of the competition.

regards
Mech