View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
JJW
EcoModding Lurker

The Crimson Jellybean - '08 Toyota Yaris
90 day: 41.8 mpg (US)

White's Elephant (in Black) - '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpr View Post
switching from jeep1 to the civic increased my insurance quite a bit, my car payments are a little less with my civic. i ended up switching insurance companies and now i am paying a lot less in insurance but its different for everyone im sure.
I had to switch insurance companies to get adding the Yaris to work in my favor as well. Some seem to be more willing to define a vehicle as low use or recreational use.

BTW, the OP might want to take a gander at jeepforums.com TJ Technical forum. Just about everyone with a Jeep 1) Loves it 2) Hates the gas mileage, and they inevitably post over there looking for ways to increase mileage. The long and short of it is that just about everything has been tried and the TJ just doesn't seem to respond well at all to attempts to increase the mileage. About the only mods that end up being worth it are to put on a hard top and drive slower. Lowering it helps.. but why would to you do that?

Depending on your engine/tranny/axle gearing combo, you may be able to go to slightly oversized tires to lower highway RPM.

Just realize however, even with your Jeep modded to that super-aero version posted, you still have a 4000+ Lb vehicle with constantly spinning 4 wheel drive running gear being pushed along by an engine designed in the 60s and set up for maximum torque.

In the end, its a game of diminishing returns. I'm much happier putting all the commuter mileage on my hatchback and letting my Jeep be a Jeep. In fact, I enjoy it much more now that its for fun and not a financial burden.

Buying a new more economic car wouldn't make sense to most people, but you could look into sidelining the Jeep for an old metro or civic. Your time and dollar spent there will be far more effective and rewarding.

That's why I still consider my Yaris the ultimate eco-mod to my Jeep!

By the way, you might want to work on your driving technique or tune of your Jeep before investing in mods, as they are free, and I've done 21 mpg in my 02 Sahara.