View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
101Volts
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16.66 mpg (US)
On subject of poorer-grade gasoline:

Before I get into this far, I will mention that there's a local gas station which sells pure gas but on the few occasions we got it, It ran worse for a lawnmower and even the van and their ethanol-grade gas was cleaner.

Anyway, I don't know for sure which grade of gas the gas station attendant pumped into the van the last time (I did say "Regular" and not "Pure Gas" but he seemed to be in a rush) but as of late the ScanGauge has been reading that we've been getting 16 MPG or so in it even with the way I drive, We should be getting over 20 at least. The ScanGauge II hasn't been calibrated for a long time, So I have no idea if it's quite accurate but the gas we got from that one station did go through the car faster according to the fuel gauge.

Also, My Mother used to get gas at that same small station and was getting about 17.5 in her Dodge Caravan which is a 3.3 litre, *According to her on-board FE meter which may or may not be quite correct*. I recently pumped gas into it from Sheetz instead and so far, The on-board average meter (Since a stop near the gas station to calibrate the odometer and F/E meter) says the van got over 18 so far.

So, Keep fuel quality in mind.

EDIT - The section between the asterisks was added at this time.

Last edited by 101Volts; 08-06-2013 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Added some info about how I got the FE reading.