View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
The most frustrating thing about slow drivers is when they ruin opportunity for fuel efficiency. When I'm headed down a mountain pass, I want to allow gravity to pull me down at a rate that approaches, or even slightly exceeds the speed limit. Timid drivers that put their brakes on and drive well below the limit ruin the opportunity to maximize efficiency. I have the same complaint about those that drive curvy roads and are too timid to take the corners at a reasonably quick speed. Why brake hard just to accelerate hard after the corner?

...and that's why I prefer to drive at 2 o'clock in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doviatt View Post
"Speed limit" is a limit. Period. Not a speed suggestion nor a minimum.
Those signs certainly should include a minimum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
Here's a good thread on why driving aware and slower helps ease congestion. Spoiler alert: It's the speeders and tailgators causing stop and go!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ves-11992.html
Traveling fast during rush hour is not possible in Portland. I've noticed that when I employ the method of allowing a gap to form and canceling out the waves, people behind me tend to adopt the more relaxed method of driving. Perhaps they figure there is no point in tailgating if I'm creating a huge gap ahead of me that anybody could jump into if they wanted. I've found that not all that many people do jump in to fill the gap, and often times they move right back out of the lane in the never-ending quest to find the one that moves the fastest.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!