View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
dlb
EcoModding Lurker

great info. thanks, mech. i have more questions for you now, though.

i just had to read up on liquid lock, aka hydrolock, and realized i have heard of it before. i don't think i would encounter it with the way i have seafoamed CC's before. when i have done it, i unplugged the dizzy (to prevent sparking), pulled the plugs, poured seafoam in until it reached the spark plug holes, loosely put the spark plugs back in just to cover the holes, closed the hood, let it sit for 1-2 days, opened the hood, pulled the plugs, and cranked the engine a couple times. this shot the dirty seafoam out (in hindsight, i would have a friend hold a rag over the spark plug holes to catch the stuff). then i plugged the dizzy back in, put the spark plugs back in, and drove the hell out of the thing for 5 minutes, blowing black and grey and white smoke all over the place. i think i did it on two separate vehicles with no problems. i assumed that cranking the engine with the plugs removed would be sufficient to prevent hydrolock, no?

would a plugged EGR not throw a CEL? i don't know if there's a sensor that measures resistance in that system or not. the car throws no CELs but i agree that any 20-yr old car with unknown engine history should probably have the EGR thoroughly cleaned out.

regarding the steam cleaning, what do you mean by "Then I just let it run until it had consumed a quart of water, rinse and repeat"? what are you rinsing, and with what? it sounds like i could accomplish a home version of this with a simple spray bottle so i might try that.

thanks again.