View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Civic HX Lean Burn "Econo" Light

Ok guys I have seen threads in the past exploring the possibility of having an indicator on the dash for when lean burn is on. The European Civics with the D15B 3-Stage Vtec-e motors had a dash light marked "Econo" in the place where the US civics have the cruise control light. This light is on when lean burn activates.

Here are resources covering the D15B:

D15B 1.5l SOHC VTEC
EK3 Civic Vi Multimatic

Now that I know that Honda created the ability to monitor lean burn, I am curious if I can adapt it to my US model d15y5 lean burn motor.

Plenty of people have swapped in the d15b 3 stage vtec motor into US cars with the correct ECU (P2J-003) and had the Econo light working. I also found out the Econo dash light is controlled by pin A30 on the P2J ecu. Here is a diagram:

Here is a thread that describes how to swap in a d15b to our US civics, and it also explains how to wire up the Econo light to work with this swap:

JDM D15B 3-stage, P2J ECU, EGR, O2 Sensor, Wiring Checklist, PICS! - Honda-Tech

My question is if I can buy a P2J ecu and adapt it to work with my d16y5 so that I have the ability to add the Econo light. I am also researching if the d16Y5 ECU has the same A30 pin that controls the econo light, and maybe the function is there but not used on US model HX's.

I'll continue to update this thread as I learn more. Feel free to chime in with anything that could help out.