View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM   #35 (permalink)
mikeyjd
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*If you can extend the lines of the Vetter fairing out to a point and then compare that to where they made the truncation you should be able to get a handle on the percentage of chop.
*The % drag difference per 10% of truncation difference won't really vary with fineness ratio.
*If you know the Cd of the profile your starting with,you should be able to predict the Cd at any given truncation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*One thing about the straight taper.It has been shown to have twice the drag compared to the more complex teardrop taper.Eiffel measured this.DVL measured it.Junkers measured it.
*If you run a straight,conical taper as long as the 'Template' as Lay,K-Fachsenfeld,and Kamm did,you can get to very low drag.
*If you go from the hemi nose,directly into the angle,without the Mair contour transition,you'll lose the game right there.Sorry,but it's hard science.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The thing about 'angles' is that they are measured at a tangent to the body,and will occur only as a constant after the curved Mair transition zone.
Without it,you'll have separation and a good chance that it will never re-attach.
*You can only cheat so much.
*You want to pull the body in as freebeard does with his redwood bender-board.I've been using 1" Schedule-40 PVC pipe as a 'french-curve' held over bulkhead station points which define major body vectors.The redwood or pipe will perform the calculus for you,plotting a smooth curve profile for fabrication.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*It's better to have a truncated body of proper contour than a full-tailed body of pseudo-streamline form.This was the entire premise of Kamm's research and university lectures.
*If you can go in the 11-degree territory it will return great dividends compared to the 22-degree which would only yield around Cd 0.23 even with a full tail.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think you'll learn anything useful from the CFD.
On most of your post I feel like I'm reading an Aerodynamics book.