View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
GreenHornet
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog 44 View Post
I haven't been doing any math, so help me figure out if the effort would be worth the possible gains in mpg and savings of this theory in a scientific way. What are the highway mpg improvements to be had by using a small displacement engine: less pumping and frictional losses, price, and better tuning for its purpose.

I want to find the hp required to cruise at 50mph and 65mph for a 95 civic dx/cv/vx. And cross reference it to the fuel consumption at that hp for the donor engine. It has to be cheap, and it doesn't matter where it comes from such as motorcycle, moped, light industrial etc as long as its fuel efficient. The optimal engine would be the Loremo 20hp turbo diesel but i couldn't find the specs for that engine.

Here are just the first examples i could find but I can't translate the fuel consumption of these engines from g/hph or litres a kilowatt hour.

20hp Electric Start Small V-twin Diesel Engine 912cc - Buy Small V Twin Engine,20hp Diesel Engine,Electric Engine Product on Alibaba.com

20hp Two-cylinder Diesel Engine - Buy Two-cylinder 4-stroke Air-cooled Engine,Small Engine 20hp,Engines For Sale Product on Alibaba.com

Honda Engines - GX630 4-Stroke Engine
First lets figure out a good approximation for your HP needs to run a 1995 Civic at 50 and 65 mph.

In order to do this we need to get some data on the Civic.

#1. Coefficient of drag = .31 For hatch model link = Vehicle Coefficient of Drag List - EcoModder

#2. Frontal area = 19.9 same link as above

#3. Curb weight = 2094 lbs Civic VX Hatch Link = Honda Civic Compare - Exterior Features - MSN Autos

Now use this calculator and input data = Calculate HP For Speed

Your approximate horsepower requirements equals:

50mph = 8.89HP
65mph = 16.28HP

GH