View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
rfdesigner
EcoModding Lurker

Merc Estate - '01 Merc W210 E320CDi Estate Elegance
90 day: 37.56 mpg (US)
Here in the UK, our speed limit is 70.. but the police are known for giving you 10%+2mph so that's 79mph, real world.

Until 2007 people would usually sit at about 80~85 indicated a few doing 90+, and the very occasional one doing a ton+

I know having GPS calibrated my speedo that my Merc is 5% optimistic on speed, so an indicated 80 will be 76 real world.. and Mr plod will not be interested.

What does get scary is when you have people doing 90+ and trucks doing 56 pulling straight out, more than a few accidents have happened that way.

Anyway since 2007 things have changed.. people have slowed down and they are driving less, 70 is now far more common and 80 is the old 90.

Which brings me to another point.. prices in the UK are pretty much at breaking point.. back in 2000 we had fuel price protests (fuel blockades etc.. shops started running out of stock.. in some places there was no fuel to be bought) and the government backed down on fuel prices, so although they haven't gone up much in real terms neither have the fallen much. What has happened is that we now mostly drive diesels, and we drive them a little slower.

What is this threshold price?

In today's money, about £1.50 a litre, or about $9 a gallon.. give or take.

If we had fuel at 75p/litre we'd all be driving much faster and longer.

Derek