View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
jkv357
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan6229 View Post
So, as long as I'm trying to (mildly) hypermile my ex-500, I have a few basic questions.
1. how long do you need to be at a stoplight to break even with shutting the engine down?
2. is DWB going to wear out the clutch since you have to hold in all the time?
3. is pulse and glide going to net big returns? (just asking, I'm not a huge fan of the method.)
4. I'm having some trouble finding anyone that has rejet ex-500 carbs for FE. Most kids try to get more power with rejets, so any input or projections on if that helps would be handy.
5. What else am I missing?

Thanks the help guys.
Jonathan
I think with a cycle you don't have as much ability to stretch the mileage as you do with a car. A lot of the mileage potential has to do with the engine's basic design - either it's efficient at cruising or it's not.

I'm familiar with the EX-500 (raced one back in the day...) but not sure which category it falls into.

The cycle I ride now (SV650) is pretty good, even without using any special techniques. I've got 50+ in city riding and 60s on mild backroad riding. Even with no fairings it gets 55 or so on Interstate riding over 70 mph. I've geared it up 1T on the countershaft, but I don't think it has gained much as far as mileage from it - just a smoother cruise. Overall, the basic engine design is good for efficient cruising, it's not anything I'm doing.

I don't P&G, as it has a ton of engine braking. I don't coast with the clutch in, mostly because I don't like it.

Get your acceleration done fairly quickly and get in top gear, then make sure you just have enough throttle opening to maintain your speed. Watch the throttle opening, not just the RPMs. Bogging in a higher gear will get you less MPG than spinning faster in a lower gear at a smaller throttle opening.

As far as jetting, jet it to run as good as possible. Leaning the jetting doesn't always help get good mileage. You want it running at its best efficiency.

Run 87 octane without Ethanol. Use a synthetic engine oil with a 5W low-end rating. If it recommends 10W-40, using Rotella T6 5W-40 will help mileage.

Jay

Last edited by jkv357; 08-03-2013 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: additional info