View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
MaxMatt
EcoModding Lurker

The Dunkelblau - '89 Mercedes W124 250D
90 day: 35.61 mpg (US)

Eldorado - '71 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

The AMG - '93 Mercedes-Benz E36 AMG
90 day: 20.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
You could also look at how clean the inside of the engine is. When's the last time the throttle body and intake manifold were cleaned? Is there sludge on the oil cap? Maybe there is a build up of sludge inside the cylinder or the oil control rings are wearing down. Have you done a compression test? Maybe the compression rings are going bad.

I'm no expert, but with a 20 year old car, I can imagine you could have these issues.
Thanks for your input, Jeff.

I cleaned the throttle body and the intake manifold with proper carb cleaner a few times over the last few years. I have also cleaned it while dissassembled, but to speak the truth - it was all nice and clean in the first place.

I am using a fully synthetic oil since I bought the car. There are no deposits whatsoever. I had the oil pan off and it was impressively clean for a 20 y/o car. The compression is spot on and it doesn't use up any measurable quantities of oil between oil changes.

I've done most of the things, which I can do with just my collection of tools and a lift. I am looking for a second opinion before I start throwing $$$ at it just to get MPG up a notch.

Is there a consensus about the catalytic converters? They don't help the fuel economy, but than they keep the enviroment from harm. What about the 20 y/o ones - do they still get their job done?
Since an original Mercedes CAT is very expensive I am thinking about replacing it with a metallic converter.