View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
nekolai
EcoModding Lurker

Mac Daddy - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 35.2 mpg (US)

Electric Slide - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.51 mpg (US)
Freshly purchased 2010 Prius IV, tips appreciated!

So after retiring my 98' neon that has served me well (averaged 36 stock no mods) I got myself a 2010 Prius and it's been plenty of fun.

However, I am hitting a plateau at a very dissatisfying 50-54MPG on my first few tanks. I've started to convince myself it's because the ratings themselves were skewed because they're taking automatic better driving habits forced by the car into account, but I have to be wrong.

So in that case, I ask fellow ecomodders: what have your experiences been with gen 3 Prii? Is it better to still neutral coast -- that would be unfortunate as the mileage tracking would no longer work, and the battery does not regenerate in that mode. In addition I have also noticed that when the MPG meter is maxed, it is literally reading a 100MPG rating into the stats/averages, instead of realistic numbers based on fuel usage into the 200s, 300s What mods/habits can I get into that

a. Doesn't conflict with a warranty
b. Doesn't damage the body/is invisibly reversible

On a side note, I have also been interested in those solar conversions, passive charging. However, I feel that I would either get electrocuted due to my lack of electronic experience (I'm a linux system technician, not an electrician), or I would 100% void my paid-on-top-of warranty!

Thank you for any and all input. If I can break 60 mpg tank average, I will buy some decals to celebrate!

Cheers,
Nikolai

Last edited by nekolai; 08-03-2013 at 06:44 PM..