View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
aerohead! Tag, you're it. As you say you have a history with this sort of thing. I have a history of having trouble getting other people to build my ideas.

On that first model the edges are 4', 3' and 5' front to back. I started with the center section 3' long and the center at 18" to get the 135°/2 and 157.5°/2 angles to the center. The result is a short 'thorax' and a long 'abdomen'.

I'm currently making a 2nd model, same scale, same 10' length but on a 4x10 sheet. The edge lengths will be arbitrarily 4',4', and 4'. Also the wheels were pushed back so they could be tucked inside the max width; but I think teardrops are like that because of the weight of the kitchen in back. So the new model has the wheels in the (newly longer) center section with semi-enclosed wheelwells and half-fender/spats. And it will be skinned with corrugated material.

If someone was building one, I might go back to the 3D modeling and compare squircles at 45° to each other.

If I did build one myself, it probably would be based on my Westy utility trailer. I have a source for the (thoroughly thrashed) suspension parts via thesamba.com. It's a 4'x3'x1.5 box. Some redwood bows with temp bracing, with burlap shrunk to fit and sprayed with clear polyurethane would get me in the game.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2013)