View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan6229 View Post
So, as long as I'm trying to (mildly) hypermile my ex-500, I have a few basic questions.
1. how long do you need to be at a stoplight to break even with shutting the engine down?
I have no exact data, it's said it's a few seconds. You can gain extra seconds by using the kill switch way before stopping, if traffic permits. You should watch your battery, though: I've just drained mine by coasting too much with the engine off (I commute in a hilly area) and using the starter after these sessions. Bump starting helps quite a bit, but Teresa is not that smooth to bump start - a 650 single won't ever be, it seems.

Quote:
2. is DWB going to wear out the clutch since you have to hold in all the time?
I coast a lot. It won't wear clutch plates, our current set has already lived longer than the previous one I inherited from the first owner. But the dropout bearing died at 111000 km. It was dirt cheap, it just needed draining the oil and coolant to get it replaced. I continue to coast a lot, needless to say. Whenever I need to lose speed, I coast. And yes, in a city it effectively makes the trip a nice example of P&G.

Quote:
3. is pulse and glide going to net big returns? (just asking, I'm not a huge fan of the method.)
Even though Teresa doesn't rev too fast (4000 at 100km/h|62mph), it does help a bit. But coasting to slow down seems to be more essential than making artificial occasions to do it. My record tanks definitely have a lot of P&G, but I have good tanks with long, steady speed (highway) legs too, where I only coast to slow down and P&G downhills, where the engine load would really be too low. And in lower gears, I always P&G below 4th!

Quote:
5. What else am I missing?
You didn't quite miss it, but a taller ratio by replacing the front sprocket helped a lot with our other bike (Hyosung GV250 named Ciliegia).