View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
MPGranger
EcoModding Apprentice

Whitey - '10 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 33.74 mpg (US)

Hershey - '13 Nissan Altima SL
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

Midas - '10 Toyota Prius two
I see CVTs and DCTs being the transmissions of tomorrow. A traditional automatic is being phased out, although you go to the dealership and the sheeple don't know what anything is so they label everything as an automatic transmission. CVT has continual power to the road, but has higher torque loses. (Which is why it is so hard to put them into trucks) The DCT, dual clutch transmission, is essentially twin manual transmissions that are shifted by the computer so that the lack of power during a shift is kept to a bare minimum. As the odd number gear transmission begins to let go, the even number gear transmission begins to grab. Pretty slick, there are 6speeds like this and luxury 8speeds, with 10 and 12 easily foreseeable. A traditional automatic transmission is just a mess of moving parts (read failure points) adding more to this mass, just doesn't seem wise. Although, when my father found out that my girlfriend, now wife, was driving a manual tranny; he knew we would probably get married. I love manual transmissions. And I have owned several 6 speeds; I agree that most are true 6 speeds, and what would be best for FE is an overdrive 6 speed tranny.

Check out my facebook page, if you feel like watching my progress.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MPGran...007268?sk=wall