View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
alvaro84
Master EcoModder

Teresa - '04 BMW F650CS
Motorcycle
90 day: 80.53 mpg (US)

The YARDIS - '99 Toyota Yaris 1.0
90 day: 59.52 mpg (US)
Not having a GPS I check odometer accuracy whenever I get to travel continuous highways with reliable km signs (old roads patched with bypasses won't cut it). I also keep an eye on my normal commute trips' measured length. This was that showed me that the new to me car had wrong sized (too small diameter) tires, so I corrected every distance by -3% until I got new (winter) ones. Then the commute length became pretty much the same as our 'unit bike' (Ciliegia, Hyosung GV250 - has the most accurate odometer among our vehicles).

My bike (Teresa, BMW F650CS) is quite a bit different: she seems to be too modest about distance (the speedo is still over, of course), last time I checked (on a Czech motorway) the error was ~2.5%. I usually correct by +2%, to be on the safe side (I don't want to exaggerate my mileage ) - and add the distance I coast with the key off...

When I bought new (Michelin Pilot Road 2) tires I hoped they'll be more accurate than the previous Heidenau K73s (I used +1% correction back then), but the difference just became larger. At least I got a tiny bit taller gears which I couldn't otherwise

This difference should get smaller as the tires wear, but now, ~1mm down from new I still can't measure the effect.

Last edited by alvaro84; 08-06-2013 at 08:02 PM..