View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #159 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I think we have to take a step back in this thread and remember something important. None of us try to block traffic or do slow driving out of spite. I've been arguing that as long as we are within the legal limits, we can drive slow. That doesn't mean it's always appropriate to drive slow. There is a clear definition about what is legal, but I haven't been talking about is what is practical.

For example the other night I was driving home, doing some pulse and glide from 65-50 mph. I noticed a semi coming up behind me in the right lane, and a car was in the process of passing the semi in the left lane. At this point I was EOC'ing at about 60 mph. Now legally I could have kept EOC'ing down to 50 mph, causing the semi to slow down and wait to pass. But out of respect, I chose to stop EOC'ing and speed up to 65. This allowed enough time and space for the car to pass the semi before they reached me, allowing the semi to merge and pass without slowing down.

That kind of thing happens daily. I always try to stay out of the way. I do what I can, when I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
user removed (08-09-2013)