View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #163 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
I think we have to take a step back in this thread and remember something important. None of us try to block traffic or do slow driving out of spite. I've been arguing that as long as we are within the legal limits, we can drive slow. That doesn't mean it's always appropriate to drive slow. There is a clear definition about what is legal, but I haven't been talking about is what is practical.

For example the other night I was driving home, doing some pulse and glide from 65-50 mph. I noticed a semi coming up behind me in the right lane, and a car was in the process of passing the semi in the left lane. At this point I was EOC'ing at about 60 mph. Now legally I could have kept EOC'ing down to 50 mph, causing the semi to slow down and wait to pass. But out of respect, I chose to stop EOC'ing and speed up to 65. This allowed enough time and space for the car to pass the semi before they reached me, allowing the semi to merge and pass without slowing down.

That kind of thing happens daily. I always try to stay out of the way. I do what I can, when I can.
I'm not so sure about "None of us try to bock traffic". It would seem that some are going to drive their way regardless of other traffic. While it certainly is legal as long as they stay above the minimum posted speed, it certainly is not the safest way to drive-ride defensively.

Second major consideration is traffic volume. In the highest 10% of traffic density (in the US) which is where I drive, you risk a lot by being 10-20 MPH slower than the bumper to bumper traffic which is a daily routine in Hampton Roads.

Hypermiling to me is driving efficiently. It IS NOT driving that creates greater danger to me or others who are in fairly close proximity to me. Sure, I'll putt along at 45 in a 55 zone on a non divided 4 lane road, but when I see a flock of groupies closing in on my rear end, I'll pick up my pace to the speed limit and even beyond, not because I have to or even want to, but becasue it lowers my overall risk of accident-injury. If you are crippled for life, does it really matter whose fault it is, you're still crippled for life.

My driving style is completely adaptive, no traffic, I can hypermile to my hearts content. As traffic volume increases I look for drafting partners, preferrably large vehicles in the right lane that are driven by professionals. 45 on the Interstates around here, when everyone else is going 70-80 (70 zone) is just stupid, especially when you can drive down US60 which runs parallel to the Interstate and is basically deserted.

It's sad to see members here go after each other over their technique. I think a lot of it is the individuals driving environment. If I lived out away from any population and could drive down a deserted road without ever bothering anyone else then I would drive completely differently. I have plenty of time to spend in the effort. Conversely if I am driving on a road where 50,000 cars will pass over the same spot in a single lane, every day (86,400 seconds per day-do the math) then I will drive the speed of traffic, regardless of that speed.

To do otherwise is insanity.

regards
Mech