View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #167 (permalink)
tjts1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
anyone going 65 mph in the left lane can stay as long as they like on a road that has a 65 mph speed limit and that sign. It would be illegal to go any faster than 65 mph, so technically speaking a person going 65 mph is the fastest on the road. Those going slower than the speed limit are required to move over to the right unless they are passing slower traffic.
WRONG

Quote:
Safer to go with the flow
A couple of decades ago, Jim Gussler was pulled over while driving 60 mph in a 55-mph zone on Interstate 5 in California.

"Traffic was crazy and whizzing by me," he says. "It was the first time I'd been to California and the first time I'd encountered traffic like that."

He thought the officer was going to issue a ticket for driving 5 mph over the limit.

"Nope," Gussler says. "He politely explained that I was impeding traffic and needed to match the flow of traffic. He also explained that a slower vehicle was more dangerous than a speeding vehicle."

Gussler got off with a warning, but there's at least some research out there that supports that officer's claim.

In 1964, a U.S. government researcher named David Solomon wrote a paper on the subject of speed and crashes. He found that drivers going the median speed of all traffic -- not necessarily the speed limit -- had the lowest risk of collision. He also found that the crash risk increases more sharply at speeds below the average traffic flow than above.
Slow drivers can get ticketed, too - 1 - - MSN Money

EDIT: For those of you that can't get enough of this topic, here's some more fun reading.
Traffic Tickets for Driving Too Slowly | Nolo.com
Notice how theres no mention of speed limit, only "the normal speed of traffic".

Last edited by tjts1; 08-09-2013 at 05:23 PM..