View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Spiffytexan
Gas guzzler

Big-Donkey Engine - '02 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 21.43 mpg (US)
Exclamation Boosting Fuel Economy of '95 Chevy Pickup

The truck gets 12-14 mpg. The best we've ever gotten was 19 mpg, driving 95 mph with the ac on MAX the entire time. The engine was running at 3,500 RPM, and it redlines at 4,500.

How can I increase the mileage of this gas-swiller? It has new plugs, plug wires, air filter, etc. I've been looking on this forum, and think it would be wise to gut some seats, inflate the tires over the max, and coast more than I currently do. (When I cut the engine, the steering locks... I did this going 55 with a bridge at the bottom of the hill, and a key that didn't work properly without 10 seconds of feniggling. Luckily, I got the steering back just in time. )

I do love this truck (I live in Texas, where everyone drives dually diesels, so if you get in a wreck in a car, you die.) and plan to use it as a portable PA system, (For example, to drive around neighborhoods and tell masses of people to vote!) for work, and for hauling my future motorcycle or moped. (Looking for a cheapie that gets 65+mpg without even trying. also, )

So, in conclusion, how else should I extend mileage? I plan to go for semi-extreme style driving. However, I am unaware as to what vehicle mods I could do on a truck. Comments on blocking the grille, lining engine compartment with cardboard, messing with mirrors, wipers, etc. are highly welcome. Nothing is too extreme when it comes to green! (The kind in my wallet. I'm a Real Republican, unlike the 'tarded liar Republicans in office, so I'm more for saving the money type of green, though the environment benefits either way!)

Pardon the incoherency, it is late...
Logan the RepubLibertarian