View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #38 (permalink)
cujet
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnemy View Post
Disagree all you want, but you obviously don't live near the Mexican border. The border patrol agents here feel that they have every rite to that information, and if you inform them of your rites you get pulled over for a 45 minute cool down.

They have also installed facial recognition equipment on both sides of the freeway with IR and color cameras at the check points.
Just waited nearly an hour, on RT-8, West of San Diego in a checkpoint up in the mountains. I did not roll down my window, I had a clearly visible camera recording the event and camera located out of plain sight. The Border Patrol agent (er, jack booted thug) peered into my car, instantly saw my video camera and waved me on my way, as expected.

Since I was in an empty Hertz, rental car, and alone, I was ready to leave it there, while they got a warrant to search it. It would then be Hertz's problem.

Spoke with my friends in DHS about this. The response was that many in DHS understand it's a clear violation of the 4th and they don't want to engage in many court cases. As sooner or later, they believe a judge will find in favor of a liberal interpretation of the US Constitution, and the tactics used by DHS will be severely curtailed. Rendering them less effective.

Thinking about DHS "Dave's" statement, I can see the point, they feel that the ends justify the means. Even if it's a clear violation of the plain language meaning of the constitution and case law.