View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #198 (permalink)
Daekar
Busy Homeowner

This is what I love about living away from the city... the average driver around here, unless they have been imported from the NoVa/DC area, is relatively courteous. They don't tend to cut people off, they let you merge more often than not, and generally traffic tends to flow within +5mph of the speed limit. It's very different from where I grew up.

I believe I have only been given the finger twice in my life, and one time I suspect the giver was at least partially justified, because I gave him a scare by almost merging into him but saving myself with a head check (I am religious about head checks... have saved me countless times for from blind-spot loiterers).

I now dislike city driving, despite my youthful familiarity with it, because of the generally aggressive style of driving required to cope with 4+ lanes going each way and the accompanying traffic. Here it's just... different. Even if people are in a hurry, they're usually not jerks about it. I would hate to think that the average urban population has succeeded in having all US drivers tarred with the same brush.