View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 PM   #44 (permalink)
UltArc
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
**updates**

Building the side skirts and upper grill block (updated 1st the first page)

Ultarc, i agree, my lower grill block is a rough mockup. I'll build a solid one-piece eventually, when i figure out how much blockage i can go before running into overheating issues.
I know on mine, I do 100% block and I occasionally get to operating temperature. On the highway, after about 20+ minutes of driving (from completely cold engine) I bounce between 208-220. When I had the v6 fascia, and taped it off to an extreme, driving at 8 over the speed limit (78) for three hours made me go above 220, but I never hit 230- 226 is the highest I remember, but I KNOW I never hit 230.

I believe something happens at 218-220, because it starts to drop until I get to 210~, and then it floats in that range. I don't know if thats a fan kicking on, or something else happening, but it doesn't go up any higher in it's current state. There are no obvious signs of something changing other than the temperature fluctuating.

I believe with cars this new, a full block in non desert conditions works without issues. Even at a drag strip, I would keep it on to help the aero, air is going to get in and force itself in regardless, I would sooner keep the aero advantage than risk trying to get some more air rammed in. A track day, where I need more cooling for continued performance, I would probably remove my center lower grille block, and go from there. Hopefully it would not need more, but I don't think abusing continuously for 15-20 minute periods would be okay for the engine without adequate cooling.

Of course, better safe than sorry, and your situation may be totally different, but this is what I have experienced and taken away from it.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
The Following User Says Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (08-13-2013)