View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #204 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
May I ask what car it was that you were driving that subjected you to vehicular profiling? I'm not surprised you had it happen, I see police out as well.
Subaru WRX STi. I removed the huge wing to reduce the 'profile' a bit, but at night it's still an easy item to pick out. I eventually replaced it with a Honda Fit, a car that is driven by quite a few young people around here (which I decidedly am not), so it still pushes some of the same constabulary buttons. Plus a couple of the towns I drove through had particularly aggressive police forces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Vehicular profiling is based on the visual condition of the car, using a simple rule: $#*+heads drive $#*+boxes. Visible damage or deterioration will make the cops wonder what else is wrong and pick a pretext to stop you.
At night it doesn't matter how well you take care of your car.
Quote:
[...] and the cops have nothing else going on.
I think that's the biggest part of it. They're bored. A thousand cars can go by during the day, all of which are traveling above the speed limit, and the cop doesn't budge until he sees one really ripping along. At night, all of that goes out the window. Exceeding the speed limit -- even the stupid ones designed to generate revenue -- simply isn't an option.