View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Promising_Confinement
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Honda Civic LX - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Promising_Confinement Send a message via Yahoo to Promising_Confinement
Question Any tips for a paper deliver guy?

I drive a 1990 Toyota Camry wagon with a 2.0 and an automatic transmission (unfortunately I can't tell you the average mileage I get because my odometer and speedometer doesn't work, and don't have the money to fix it right now).

I deliver papers in it, so obviously I'm doing constant stop and go over about 60 miles. I spend on average about $70.00 a week with gas prices anywhere from $3.98 to $4.05 a gallon.

I've done a few of those hypermiling tricks (things like only hitting the gas enough to move the car when it's safe to do it, throw it neutral when coming to stops. According to my handheld GPS device I've got, (which I don't know of it's accuracy, but since my speedo doesn't work it's the best I've got) this morning alone going 78.68 miles my overall average speed was 21mph, the moving average was 25.2, max speed was 48mph (would've been lower, but the speed limit on the road I was doing that on ranges from 55 to 45).

Total driving 3hrs 42 minutes, moving time was 3hrs 7 minutes and the car was stopped 35 minutes (of which, it was shut off).

Is there anything more I can do?

And a bike is unfortunately out of the question, would make it take too long and I have a bad left leg as it is.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Where can I snag a ScanGuage or equivilant that will work in my car?