View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Still working out the details on the transmission. I'm hoping to pick it up Sunday for $50. In this case, the guy swapped his engine/transmission in favor of a higher performance setup, and the stock stuff is considered junk. One mans junk is another mans treasure!

On another weird note, it seems I am having some issues with the EGR system. Ever since I replaced my engine (Feb 2012) I have been getting EGR CEL's. I tried cleaning the passages but only recently did I realize I wasn't cleaning out the ports that connect to the individual intake manifold runners. They were completely clogged, and this was the reason I was getting the CEL. I ordered a new EGR gasket and installed it about the same time I completed the remote battery installation.

So for the last couple days I have had the EGR electrical connector hooked back up (I disconnected it since Feb 2012 so my car wouldn't try to go into lean burn). No more EGR code and it seems the EGR is working again. Still no lean burn (I thought it might fix the issue, but it seems I need a new O2 sensor) but it seems with the EGR functioning I get way worse MPG.

On the first trip to work with the EGR connected I got 42 mpg, scangauge indicated. My normal is 45. It was about 80 degrees with A/C. On the return trip only 41.5 mpg, no A/C. Yesterday on the way to work I tried really hard and got 43.3 mpg, no A/C. Fed up with my poor results, I disconnected the EGR connector for the drive home. 47.3 mpg scangauge indicated without EGR. What the heck?

I plan on running a full tank with EGR connected to verify the mpg numbers on the scangauge. Maybe since the engine is using the exhaust gases again, the scangauge is indicating low? Not only did I notice less mpg, I noticed I had to drive at higher loads than with the EGR disconnected. All I can think is that maybe the extra fuel being cycled back into combustion is causing the scangauge to read incorrectly. I will find out in another week or so after another tank.