View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #207 (permalink)
doclees
EcoModding Apprentice

Just was at King of Prussia to visit the Elio. I now do want one and will put down a deposit. haven't read all the replies so If I mention something already known forgive me. 90% will be US made. The engine is a redesigned Geo Metro. Transmission will be an Triptronic type auto only. Those ugly headlights will be gone and molded into the nose flush with higher lumens. A hatch will be added for access to "trunk". Hood opens as one should with hinges opposite from windshield so engine bay access is easier than my Wrangler. I'm 5'6" at about 150 lbs. I felt access to rear seat was very easy will lots of room. Saw a good 6' 180 lbs guy hop in and out easy. Front seat will be different to make access even easier. Front seat slid forward to crush my knees and back so I could't touch controls. That will fit my 5' wife fine. Composite body ala Corvette. For those that like to tinker it looked easier to take apart than a modern plastic encased crotch rocket. Heater core and a/c condenser is accessed through engine bay and firewall. Wet weight about 1000 lbs. "Vast majority" of parts are off the shelf from other applications so your Elio may have a Ford radiator hose or Chrysler half shaft. I think that's it. Oh expected first run due out next fall(?) of 250k. To think I was expecting like 10k max. How small I do think.