View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #81 (permalink)
order99
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Sure, but in a 4-stroke Diesel running on ethanol it's just a supplementary lube for the injection pump. If you would try to run it without the regular oil in the crank you'd ruin the engine.

Regarding 2-stroke spark-ignited engines, I like them too. They're also great to use with ethanol because it decreases the carbon build-up arond the spark plug electrode comparing to gasoline.

Regarding the two-stroke...all the research i'm doing lately (rebuilding an antique chainsaw motor with hand tools for the experience) indicates that Ethanol blends can damage the motor. Since your personal experiences suggest otherwise, i'd be interested in all the details, gory and otherwise...any issues with proper mixing of gas/oil/ethanol, maximum safe and most efficient dosages,effects on power, possibility of timing/detonation issues, effect on emissions etc etc.

The subject of my inexperienced (and therefore possibly gruesome) experiment is a late 1950-something Rolan 'Heavy Hauling' chainsaw made in Sweden, probably 40cc to 50cc with a broken starting spring and the chain installed backwards-quite possibly the reason I snagged it for $2.00! If I don't turn this lovely antique into twisted metal through my own incompetence I intend to ditch the blade and create a small, potent portable plant that I can bolt to a generator, lightweight recumbent trike platform and/or tiny personal watercraft...or just watch it spin...

I'll be cracking the case for more details next week and would most enjoy picking your brain if willing.

If you think too much detail on two-stroke engines and Ethanol will derail the thread, feel free to PM me instead-also, if you're pressed for time PM me with that too and i'll place the brain-vacuuming on hold.

Back to the general Ethanol discussion-I have used 100% gasoline, 10% Ethanol and 15% Ethanol blends in my trust '93 Festiva, and noticed some minor losses in FE. I have noticed no real difference in power and performance otherwise, but since i'm not known for my jackrabbit starts and wild passing on the highway, how would I tell? I haven't noticed any more frequent downshifting for power on blended gasoline than pure, for what it's worth.

I wouldn't mind trading a little power density for less dependence on non-renewables as long as:

A) my car won't be damaged by the blend and
B) we can produce it cheaply and efficiently enough to remain competitive with gasoline production and not deprive anyone of needed food in the process.