View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne171 View Post
I could beat that with almost no effort. Just jack up the front end, put it in drive, and walk away.
Even easier, get a display from a wrecker and spoof the car or just Photoshop. Why waste the gas and car?
Quote:
After all, it seems your purpose was just to see how high a number you could get on the FE indicator. Sure, the car isn't actually going anywhere, but if you were driving with no purpose, what's the difference?
No argument from me. I called it a 'Stupid driving stunt' too.
Quote:
A car like the Prius was built for the purpose of efficiency, be it for economic or ecological. What you did was neither. More power to you, if for nothing else than for your patience. It is an interesting intellectual exercise. Now do some mods and see if you can test the results doing so (although for the sake of your sanity I might recommend using a smaller amount of fuel than a full tank).
Actually I did when I picked up the car at the dealer. On the way home, I charted the following:

I knew before starting the marathon that I would achieve a 1,000 mile tank and it is no accident that I parked it Sunday afternoon, July 21 with this on the display:

I actually calculated on the 'loop' when to drive to my work and park the car. My goal was 1,000 miles.

When I've read about the days and man-hours wasted in marathon drives, I would shake my head and mutter to myself that it only takes 10 miles to map car performance. But earlier this year, I realized I could incorporate the marathon hours into my normal work commute . . . do it in small bites.

Instead of doing a multi-day, dedicated, drive (plenty of examples exist,) I added extra time to my regular 15-20 minutes per trips . . . extended to an hour. I spent the extra 40-45 minutes listening to podcasts or music. Still mostly a waste of time but tolerable.
Quote:
Edit: that was a lot harsher than I meant it to be. I just meant to encourage you to take it a step further.
I agree with your criticism which is why I called it a 'stunt'. I've thought about a 'step further' but it isn't clear there is any opportunity.

My normal Prius is a 2003 model. Adding a couple of microcontrollers networked together:
  • Accelerator and cruise control spoof - takes the cruise control input, brake-light, and vehicle speed to operate the accelerator interface for 'hill billy' speed control. The existing cruise control cuts out at 23 mph but the 'hillbilly' cruise control could go down to as low as I want with any degree of speed 'slop' I want to handle local conditions.
  • Shifter spoof - working with the 'hill billy' cruise control, handles shifting including use of "N" automatically when driving.
In effect the microcontrollers would spoof the driver accelerator and shifter to make the car behave more efficiently . . . all the time. But could I sell it?

A lawyer would take one look at it and after laughing hysterically say not just no but "H*LL NO!" But is this approach any worse than Google's self-driving cars?

Well Toyota has been sued for 'runaway acceleration' and I have no interest in wasting time in court. Like this marathon driving stunt, I know it can be done but that does not mean it is worth my time.

Bob Wilson