View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
etard
EcoModding Lurker

Reverse Trike Build Log

Hey guys my name is Dave, I have been active in the electric bicycle scene ever since, well ever since I lost my license. The need for an alternative source of transportation has led me to some profoundly different thinking in my approach to living an independent lifestyle. Screw you California DMV! Haha, sorry had to get that out before I could go on.

Anyway, here I am 50 miles away from work and the ol' CBR600 is no longer an ideal solution to my commuting needs (and electric bikes are definately out). I like the reverse trike platform for ultimate efficiency and DMV compliance.

While the Vetter fairing bmotorbikes and the AeroCivic have their place, I just can't see myself climbing in one. I want something more like an Aptera, I want airplane and motorcycle all in one. I want people to look at it and be jealous (like when I split lanes in bumper to bumper traffic). You will never change the hearts and minds of the people if they see it and laugh at you. This is not just to save money, otherwise I would get a Honda Civic VX and be done with it. I want something that turns heads and inspires at the same time. The HyperRocket does this. No need to backpedal, he nailed everything I want in that very clean and proven design.

The purpose of this thread is to share my findings and share my experience with others that might be attempting the same path. I will be making molds with sandable foam for the body, I will use an airplane canopy for the cockpit, the frame around the passenger compartment and front steering will be made from a 4 wheel quad frame and suspension (everything is there, just cut it down the middle and widen). I will use a wrecked 600cc motorcycle for the VIN, motor, and rear end. So in essence, I am taking an airplane, shoving a quad under the front and stuffing a motorcycle in the back.

I welcome any experience or research any fellow ecomodders bring to the table. Please, nitpick my plans here and now, so that together we can get a plan going that all can be happy with the end result.

My budget for the build:

CL quad $250
wrecked CBR 600 $500
Fiberglass body $750
Canopy $500 (?)
Misc Hardware $1500
Building your own vehicle $priceless

I am taking inspiration from the Edison2, HyperRocket, Aptera, T-Rex, and various other streamliners scene here and elsewhere.

Thanks for your comments.