View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Occasionally6
Master EcoModder

I've been giving some thought to this recently.

If engine compartment temperatures are increased, it must shorten the life of the accessory drive belts and timing belt and possibly battery. Maybe even the cooling system hoses.

My biggest concern is with neutral coast, whether EOC or idle, which shocks the driveline if you don't rev match perfectly or slips the clutch if you feed it in, all in the reverse direction to that which the transmission is designed for.

Starters, yes, if you use them with EOC.

Most engine wear is supposed to occur on start up so if the engine is constantly being switched on and off that may increase wear. On the other hand, the engine is at operating temperature and the oil hasn't drained away from the top of the engine, so it won't be as bad as a cold start.

Lower oil viscosity, within the grades specified by the manufacturer won't hurt the engine. Outside that? Any extra friction/wear should manifest in worse fuel consumption so that's probably not an issue.

Unless the engine is overheated the metal structure won't change.

I think it's more a possibility than reality but if you operate a vehicle in a manner other than it was designed for there is a risk of shortening component life.