View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Daekar
Busy Homeowner

I considered all these issues when I first started reading this site. My take is that a car will generally be most reliable when temperatures and stresses are equal to or less than those in the stock configuration. That means:
1) No full grill blocks for me, I would consider up to 50% based on local climate and driving pattern.. I would prefer to keep the engine compartment cool and prolong the life of my rubber and plastic parts.

2) Thinner lubes are actually called for an approved for some engines. As long as they pass certification for the oil standard recommended, there is no problem. I use oil of the weight recommended by the manufacturer and which exceeds the requirements. In the case of heavy diesel equipment not rated for thin oil, you might indeed observe an increase in metals in a UOA with thin oils.

3) EOC is something I can't do in my car, since it would cause my turbo to melt. However, I wouldn't do it even if I could, regardless of the payoff in fuel mileage. Not only do I consider it a safety hazard, to me it presents occasion for unnecessary wear on accessories like the clutch, starter, battery, etc. Totally not worth it.

4) The temperatures we're talking about here won't cause the iron atom lattice to expand enough for their alloyed state to alter. Perhaps with huge industrial equipment that is different.