View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #84 (permalink)
Shawn D.
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
2: Hydrogen is produced by the flow of current (electrons) thru the solution. So production depends on amps, and it is not tied to volts, or watts, or energy. (someone tell me I'm wrong here if you think so)
Yes, it's the current flow that produced the electrolysis, but that current is produced by voltage across the electrodes -- as voltage varies, so will current. Thus, it is indeed "tied to volts," although volts is not what you're ultimately interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoyoda View Post
5: I found (and cannot find again ) a web page that gave data on conductivity of soluitons. It said 2 things: The maximum conductivity depends on WHAT you dissolve in the water. It also depends on HOW STRONG the solutilon is. And again here is a crazy thing: too MUCH or too LITTLE concentration gives a poorer conductivity. There is an ideal sweet spot for best conductivity.
That's not a "crazy thing" -- nearly all chemical reactions have ratios that are optimum. If you're using table salt (sodium chloride, not "a salt," which is not the same thing) as an electrolyte, consider what would happen if you put one grain of salt into 100 gallons of water -- not much change in the base conductivity. Conversely, if you added so much salt that the mixture was nearly dry, that would approach the properties of salt.