View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Daekar
Busy Homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
So, you are specifically between two cow fields.

Will you kindly explain what a "Holler" is please, kind sir?
A "holler" is a vernacular term peculiar to parts of Appalachia and the Southern United States that refers to a small localized valley or depression. Like many colloquial words I've run across, I'm not certain of the origin, but I conjecture that it is a corruption of the word "hollow," which I believe is British in source. The definition is somewhat elastic, and for non-locals it's generally easier to avoid the word and use familiar substitutes, but I've found that it is much easier to gain acceptance to a group by taking the trouble to learn and adopt certain aspects of their speech when around them. They feel more comfortable around people who speak like they do.

I have found that most Appalachian words and phrases are quaintly human and useful in their proper context, and are often effectively descriptive or efficient in nature. While many would make a grammarian flush in shame thanks to their function as multiple parts of speech, they are nonetheless effective methods of communicating concepts between those familiar with the terms.