View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #70 (permalink)
cbaber
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEV View Post
No, you missed the point. First, the max presssure is not the reference for overinflating; it is the owner's manual or the door sticker for the car. 2-4 psi increase can be used for heavier loads, but not more. The tire manufacturer's max is for the buyer to know if it fits within the auto manufacturer's specs. We must not use the tire max as a reference for what is good for the car. Your tire pressure is way overinflated for the vehicle design.

Second, center wear on overinflation is not a myth. It is just not as big a deal as with bias tires.

Third, vibration happens all the time in a moving automobile. It happens from imbalanced parts, such as in a worn engine or drive shafts that become unbalanced. Tires/wheels that are not properly balanced can also contribute significantly. All these sources shorten the cars life. But overinflated tires will exceed the design parameters of the springs and suspension parts, and that causes much more vibration that was never intended by the manufacturer.

Fourth, a tire must never, ever be inflated more than the maximum rating of the tire in any application.
I'm pumping my tires up to 60 PSI after work tonight. Thats a whopping 16 PSI over the tires indicated limit. My car will certainly vibrate to pieces, my tires will blow out, I'll wreck due to decreased traction, my fuel economy will get worse, and the center of my tires will wear unevenly. You can follow the progress in my project thread and when your theories are confirmed, feel free to post, "I told you so". Until that time, I'll continue to experiment with tire pressure in the real world, gathering my own data.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (08-20-2013)