View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
RobertISaar
Master EcoModder

MC SBX - '95 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS
Last 3: 29.75 mpg (US)
here we go, pulled these for the 92 ranger, but they would be the same as your mustang.

http://i.imgur.com/PjeLyih.png
http://i.imgur.com/0Y9xkgc.png

Ford was nice enough to give us scope patterns as to what normal looks like. you'll probably want to switch back and forth between the diagrams a few times.

anyways, on the first sheet, we see that there are 4 circuits that the ICM will ground to trigger the coils, pins 8, 9, 10 and 11. the coils are connected to +12V(as is the ICM on pin 1), so there is the basic circuit.

anyways, so now let's switch to the scope patterns. we see that in 720* of rotation(2 full revolutions, which is one 4-stroke cycle), 4 ignition events happen. this makes sense, as 4 power strokes would have happened.

we look at coil current and see that pins 8 and 11 are toggled at the same time. pins 8 and 11 control 1 and 4 on both sets of coilpacks. we also see pins 9 and 10 toggled at the same time, controlling cylinders 2 and 3 on both coilpacks.

so, it would appear that both plugs in every cylinder are already firing on both the end of the compression stroke and at the end of the exhaust stroke.

i imagine that they're paired the way they are due specifically to the fact that with waste-spark, the cylinder that fires on the exhaust stroked uses very little of the energy that is generated by the coil, while the cylinder on the compression stroke uses the rest.

otherwise, you'll have two plugs trying to fire on the same coil during the compression stroke, which means they'll be weaker there and then on the exhaust stroke, overpowered there. you'll not only strain the entire ignition system, you'll eat through plugs faster as well.

sometimes, the OEMs know what they're doing.