View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #50 (permalink)
NH scrap
EcoModding Lurker

pizza runner - '94 toyota corolla dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
You are correct for ready to go scanners, however you can build a gauge if you have basic soldering skills.

Check out the MPGuino, it works for basically every older car as long as it is fuel injection (yours is)

What kind of MPG do you get going 40? In mine (1.8L 4 speed + lockup) 35mph is better than 40, and 45mph is better than 40 (lockup kicks in there). With my car I can go 45mph and drop down to about 40mph before it drops out of lockup, so I try to cruze 42-48mph, and if I have to go slower (say 35mph zone or 30mph zone), I try to hang around 30-35mph. 35mph and 45mph is nearly the same mpg for me at around 55-65mpg for instant readings, averages of course are a bit lower (40-50mpg per trip, ~45 per tank).

i'll have to check out the MPGuino , thanks
i have a OBD2 code reader but the plug us wrong for my 94'

i have been getting about 33mpg combined
i didn't feel that was all that bad with all the stop & go driving i do at night.
with the timing belt change i can now use 5th gear while going 40mph
before i had to stay in 4th so the engine wouldn't fall of it's face.
i also changed the cap & rotor which looked to be well worn
i thought i would do the fuel filter too but i can't get a wrench on the bottom line. i got the top broken loose but there is way too much cr@p in the way
so i guess i'll wait on that for now.
maybe i can talk the guys who do my state inspection come Oct.
into letting me borrow their lift for 15 min.
i think if i could get the rite angle on things i might be able to get the thing busted loose. might require a crows foot wrench, trying to get my face up in there while the car is on the ground sucks
i have never changed it so it's got a whole bunch of miles on it.
over 100k

thanks